Monthly Summary – July 2004
Cairhien (Aes Sedai)
- The recon party leaves for Rhuidean.
- Lir writes Serah a letter recounting the last three day's events. The Sharans fight dirty, and always at night. Of the thirteen Asha'man sent to Rhuidean, only six are left including him. A few had died and the others had missions. He explains that the whole thing was a trap and they were left alone just so they could get to Rhuidean. Being near the Sharans is causing a 'taint' to spread amongst them all. Lir explains the Sharans can use some sort of Compulsion and that one of the Asha'man was affected by it...his eyes glowed green and he spoke like them. Lir had no choice but to kill him. Lir won't risk sending anyone away by gateway because he doesn't want to give the Sharans that knowledge. Lir is convinced he will die trying to escape the next day.
- When the meeting with the Aiel is over, the M'Hael addresses Lir and asks if he wishes to be Asha'man again. Janos tries to interject on his behalf but the M'Hael won't hear it. He asks both Lir and Serah if they accept their fate. He reinstates Lir as an Asha'man, raised to Captain of the Reavers. Another councilor announces that Serah is sentenced to six months penance and twenty lashes - the maximum penalty short of stilling - for disobeying a direct order and for assaulting another Asha'man.
- Varick waits for the M'Hael after the meeting and requests a meeting, about Richaad.
- Lir is at Serah's bedside when Janos pays him a visit and shows him that he isn't the only one who knows unarmed combat. He tells Lir not to demean what Serah's done by apologizing for what happened to her. Janos returns Serah's knives to Lir and gives Lir assignment papers to go to Rhuidean. Lir happily goes outside and fills the sky with lightning.
- Janos receives reports telling him what's been going on in and out of the tower all day. Janos smiles...he's clearly up to something.
Taroc, one of
- Lir puts on a lightning show out on the practice field, happy that he'll finally be leaving the tower. He marches into the meeting hall where the council is waiting, and he's impatient to get moving with the Aiel.
In the meeting, Janos asks about the composition of the party that was sent to
Rhuidean with the Aiel (because all the men and women with Lir were the leaders
of the failed rebellion that was going to take place on Lir's behalf) and
inquires what exactly Sannis Jharo is doing in the tower.
- Janos asks about Lir's replacement in the council and proposes radical security changes in lieu of the recent disturbances in the Black Tower, the murders included.
- Janos learns of Richaad's death, raises inquiries about what happened to their investigation, and asks more questions on Faia's motives for her recent questionable actions.
The M'Hael tells Janos that Faia will be at the
meeting shortly and he silently thinks of his concern for her. As soon as she
shows up, Janos demands to know what happened. The other councilors inundate
her with questions and one of them declares the treaty with the
- Faia tells the council everything that happened leading up to Richaad being pulled out of the meeting with the Aiel and how she found him bleeding to death in his office.
Faia tells the council what happened after Richaad left the Aiel meeting, right
up until she found him bleeding to death and took him to Nyx to get him Healed.
She also informs them that Richaad issued some orders to her when he briefly
- Faia goes on to explain that a sample of the wine used to poison Richaad was taken to the lab and analyzed. According to the tower's expert, the herb used to poison him didn't come from the Westlands, Seanchan, the
- Janos thinks about what she said and thinks her suspicion about a sect of Aes Sedai is ridiculous. He vows to get his hands on some of the poison, though he thinks Faia was exaggerating about it not being native to any known lands since that left only the Madlands and it couldn't have come from there. He asks about Garan...who he is, where he is now, and if she believes there is any truth to his claims about
- Faia informs the council that she
released Garan per Richaad's final orders before his 'death'. Before she
released Garan, she got his written statement about what he saw. She gives the
M'Hael the statement from Garan as well as a report from Neill about Garan's
condition. She says she has found no proof of
- Janos plans to search for Garan, intending to use his
- When Faia informs the council that Sannis has left, the M'Hael tells her she is to oversee the group's training. He orders her not to kill
- Janos is happy to be rid of the merc and offers Faia his congratulations.
- Janos tells Serah there is no news about Lir. Word about Lir's rebellion has started anew and he knows trouble will go looking for the girl. His agents are looking into the rumors that there is a plot to have Lir killed from high up. He reviews reports from everywhere else then gets a note from Moss, whom he plans to meet with after he takes a trip to Cairhien.
Black Tower (Garan)
- Nezdin gets testy with Garan and asks what Sannis Jharo has to do with anything. Garan says he believes Sannis is ta'veren and tells Nezdin he is pleading for his life. Nezdin reassures him that no one is going to kill him and that he's safe at the
- Garan tells Neill that the person who changed him was working from a set of books. Then Garan and Neill start discussing his condition.
A man called 'Old Bob' delivers a note to Garan along with his food...the note
is apparently from the Whitecloaks, but Bob doesn't realize it.
- Nezdin is bored listening to Garan and Neill, and then Faia shows up with Varick in tow. She's clearly upset. She informs them all that she wants Garan to put in writing what he witnessed, sign it, and then she'll get him out of the
Garan gets the note and believes its from
Richaad is in his office, thinking of the day's events as he waits for Faia to get there. He considers the red-bladed dagger he
- Varick tells the M'Hael that Richaad is dead,
Sannis is out on the practice field, thinking about the day's training. Most
everyone is covered in bruises and/or cuts. His own knuckles are scraped raw -
his first lesson had involved himself and any three Soldiers who thought they
could knock him down. To his surprise, all had tried but no trio had succeeded.
He dismisses them all but tells Axe to go find the people on the list and have
them meet in his quarters in an hour.
Sannis informs all gathered (the Asha'man and the
Moss informs Mala she's early and asks her to go with him to see
- Faia explains to Sannis and the men gathered about the report the Aiel gave (the Sharans wiping out the Aiel clans and the two towers sending teams to investigate).
- Sannis dismisses everyone but Faia, then offers her a friendly ear.
- Faia wards the conversation with Sannis then asks him to keep what she tells him secret...he can't even tell the M'Hael.
Sannis agrees he will tell no one what Faia tells him,
even if it means his death. Faia tells him it won't
come to that, then explains what happened with Richaad...what *really*
happened, including the fact that Richaad was still alive last she saw. She
tells him she can't tell the M'Hael because he may tell the council and Janos,
who could then pass it to the
- Sannis offers his comfort to Faia then tells her it's time to go train. Thrashing something will make her feel better.
- Faia thanks Sannis for listening to her problems and finds out that Varick told the M'Hael of Richaad's death for her.
- Axe grieves over Richaad.
- Faia, on the verge of a breakdown, gets up and ready for the meeting with the council. She feels sorry for the M'Hael for losing so much - first Lir and he having a falling out, then Richaad dying - but she still can't bring herself to tell him that Richaad might still be alive. She has to protect Richaad at all costs. She can't even visit him...she doesn't trust the council and she doesn't trust Janos enough to risk going to him and leading them to him. If they find out, so will the Aes Sedai. She goes by Sannis's room and finds it empty, with a note for her and a note for the M'Hael informing that the merc has left. Cursing, she heads to the meeting.
- Faia tells her group that Sannis is gone, but their training will continue using the schedule the merc left for them.
Neill freaks out when Faia informs him that he'll be
helping to oversee the training, but accepts it and resolves to do his best.
Mala is meeting with Noemie in her room, and Noemie tells her what the Yellows
are planning. Mala also learns that the Yellows have the Blue
Ajah's support, as well as some Greens. Mala doesn't think the news of
flowers. Mala throws them in the trash, tells Tara she'd be happy to meet
Valrin gets a mysterious note about the next Yellow Ajah meeting. She learns
that the bodies of the two murdered guards (Rahb and
Ava, in a foul mood, returns to her room after the
Mala gets dressed for her dates with Moss and
Ava gets dressed for practice and orders
-Inez informs Valrin that the Yellows are gathered for their 'meeting' and informs her that the name of the Aes Sedai who had spoken out against her during the meeting with the Aiel is Ava.
Valrin leads the meeting with the Yellows and the three Blue Sitters show up.
Inez tells Valrin that the Amyrlin has demanded the Yellow Ajah is to share
their weaves with the
Valrin repeats Inez's lie about the Amyrlin telling them they have to share
their secret Ajah weaves with the
After the meeting between the Yellows and the Blue Sitters, Moss attacks the
three Yellows (because he learned from Mala that Valrin was investigating the
murder of Rahb and
Selendia thinks about the meeting at the
- Rachne, one of the Jenn Sedai, is following the Yellow Sitters (using the invisibility weave to hide) as per instructions from Nor. Nor apparently wants the
- Winter Sedai, one of the Blue Sitters, happens upon the scene where Moss has attacked Valrin and the other two Yellow Sitters. She believes she sees a Green sister running from the scene. She is unable to save Inez or Greta (the other two Yellow Sitters), but with Valrin's help in the form of a book the old woman is carrying, Winter is able to save Valrin.
Lara goes around the
Lir goes to the
- When some of the Aes Sedai show up, they have brought luggage and the Asha'man laugh about it. Lir asks how long the others will be.
Mala is back in her room but didn't get there till after dawn because she
- The Amyrlin reflects about the broken tower. She is not pleased when Mala shows up but the girl convinces her to allow her to test for the shawl that day. She sends her to the Mistress of Novices and tells her Keeper to prepare for a testing.
Ava thinks about how awful the day is, although she had fun going to drink with
- Ava is told that Blade's sword was found in a pool of dried blood a half mile out of the city. Guards were sent after him when he didn't report to his post in the morning. Ava refuses to believe he's dead and thinks something isn't right. She takes a party of Warders out looking for him and doesn't like what she sees, but refuses to give up. He might still be alive.
Cairhien (Aes Sedai)
- Valrin gets all the Aes Sedai with her settled in at her estate. She tells Winter that the Greens who came with them cannot be trusted and Winter informs her that there are sisters watching them. Only 12 Blues and a small handful of young Yellows remained at the
- Winter gets mad at Valrin and informs the woman that she is not a child so stop addressing her as such. She declares she will no longer tolerate being spoken to that way.
- Valrin is pleased that Winter has some spirit, then directs her to take a wooden box out of the dresser. She then tells her to return her book so they can discuss raising her to her rightful position of Amyrlin.
- Winter thinks she's the wrong choice for Amyrlin and tells Valrin so. Instead, she asks about Valrin taking the position.
- Valrin informs Winter that she has no intention of being Amyrlin then orders the woman out.
- Lamia complains to Nor that she cannot get out of the shield Richaad put on her, but Nor doesn't care. When another sister declares her displeasure at Nor having killed the Asha'man Councilor (Richaad), Nor slaps her down. She thinks about her grandmother, Egwene, and how she is following in her footsteps as supreme ruler. She then tells Shandy to still and torture
Nor's bio added
- The Jenn Sedai document added
Nor asks Osane about finding the documents at the old
Nor explaining the history of Seanchan and the Asha'man. After the
- Jorrek and Ragan (Nyx's carneira) follow Nyx out of the tavern and Jorrek offers to get her back to the palace. After Ragan leaves, Jorrek feels Nyx channeling at him. Nyx gets mad and figures Jorrek must have some kind of ter'angreal. When they get back to the palace, she goes in his room, locks the door, and starts kissing him. She gets him to the bed, finds the foxhead medallion, kisses him again then leaves. Several minutes after she's gone, he hears a scream and runs to the source of the commotion, dropping his weapons to the floor when he sees what it is.
-Blen Mandragoran arrives in New Manetheren and is greeted by Cur and Raven.
Nyx arrives at the palace in New Manetheren with Jorrek and greets Blen. She
informs Cur and Raven that she believes Richaad will make it, even though all
of his internal organs were ruptured and says that weaves to heal him are
taking a lot out of him. She also announces that she will have to stay at
Jorrek's until Richaad gets better.
- Blen meets Jorrek briefly and offers to go back with Nyx. She tells him that will be fine, so they can visit for a while.
goes back to Jorrek's with Nyx after appraising Jorrek intently. Nyx and Blen
enter the room Richaad is being kept after a tiny argument with Mia. While
healing Richaad some more, she inquires as to where he's been the past year and
before telling him how she went looking for him in the Blight during his
-Mia storms out of the room after her argument with Nyx. Jorrek informs her of who Blen is and she asks him to introduce them later. Jorrek says he thinks Blen was sizing him up.
-Blen answers Nyx vaguely and they talk about her carneira.
Nyx gets excited talking about Jorrek, then goes back to healing Richaad.
- Mia complains about Nyx to Jorrek who doesn't have much sympathy and wants to know why she's so focused on Richaad. She claims she's looking after him for Faia. She wants to meet Blen.
- Blen thinks about the man Nyx almost chose as her carneira and how he'd had the man 'retrained' after catching him kissing Nyx when she was only 15. He harasses her about Jorrek and her carneira just for fun.
- Nyx asks Blen about his love life. He almost mentions Ronina, but stops himself. He then tries to change the subject and asks if she likes Jorrek.
- Nyx declares that Jorrek is too bossy, then laughs and asks if it's that obvious. She caught Blen's slip and asks about Ronina. He tells her that the woman wouldn't go away but the two of them decided to break it off...in reality he's hiding from her. He teases Nyx some more about Jorrek.
Con wakes up in bed with whatshername's mother. They
have a scuffle and end up back in bed. Meanwhile, a courier from Bubba Rub - a
notorious criminal - shows up with a message for Con that informs him a young
girl is carrying his child.
- Nyx comments that it sounds like Ronina might be in love with Blen. She then continues to work on Richaad and asks Blen where there is to party in New Manetheren.
- Con reads the note and thinks Nyx is setting him up. He tells the courier that it's impossible that the child is his, as what they did could not possibly impregnate a woman. The courier hightails it away, apparently disturbed by Con's comment.
- Blen and Nyx talk some more and Blen tells of a woman he met and how wild she was.
- While Nyx is trying to convince Blen to go get rest, Richaad wakes up. She holds the Asha'man down when he tries to get up and asks her uncle to go tell Jorrek to bring Richaad some food.
- Mia comes into the room and brings a tray of food for Richaad. Jorrek says he looks like crap and gets glared at by the women. Mia made an extravagant breakfast but claims it's not much. She also gives plates to Nyx and Blen. Mia props Richaad up on pillows and proceeds to feed him.
- Cur reviews the reports and gossip that passes across his desk, including people's reactions to what happened with Lord Barak.
- Nyx tells Richaad that Faia has told everyone he's dead and he explodes. He wants to go back to the tower but Nyx tells him he has to stay in bed and recover...Mia forces food in his face. Nyx eases his pain then leaves to get some herbs to help him. He demands to know where Nyx is.
- Blen eats his breakfast and thinks how odd Mia and Nyx are behaving around Richaad, a warrior they are treating as a child. He winks at Jorrek and laughs to himself about women.
- Once Richaad is out, Nyx says she wants to go out to a tavern.
- Blen is irritated that Nyx won't go to sleep, but agrees to go out anyway. Only the fact that he is a Mandragoran keeps him from yelling.
- Mia agrees to keep Richaad in bed while Nyx goes out. Jorrek declares he should accompany the girl for safety...everyone else's.
- Nyx tells her uncle to lead the way to a pub, while thinking she doesn't need protection from Blen or Jorrek On the way out, she asks about the practice fields because she wants to challenge a couple of Jorrek's men to a match.
- Blen leads Jorrek and Nyx to a rowdy bar and scopes out the place, wondering if a scantily clad barmaid can get his mind off Ronina.
- Jorrek figures Blen intends to torment him, but when he thinks of other reasons the man could be eyeing him, he grimaces and pushes the thought away. He doesn't think Blen would take kindly to his interest in Nyx and runs into some jerk on the way in then points out a free table to Nyx.
At a pub called The Blood
Richaad, annoyed at being treated like a helpless child, declares he wants to
see Faia. He wants to know why she saw fit to tell
everyone he's dead. Nyx tells him he'll have to wait for his own good...someone
wants him dead and Faia could lead them right to him.
Besides, he needs rest to heal fully. Nyx forces him to drink a cup of
something that knocks him out.
Moss, at 'The Wench's Arms', drinks and thinks about his day...how he met with
- Moss has a flashback to the night before...he had gone through the gateway and gone to find Mala when he noticed a female skulking around. He drew out a knife and was ready to strike until he noticed it was Noemie. As Noemie turns, Moss is tackled by a man in black wearing a Soldier's pin. Noemie announces she has the Soldier shielded so Moss stabs the guy in the eye. Meanwhile, Noemie gets hit in the head with an axe by the second Soldier. Moss attacks him and stabs him in the heart but gets knocked unconscious by the axe hitting him in the head. When he wakes up, there is a stream of blood running down his face so that he sees the blood in front of Noemie's face - just like in his dream. She disappears when she hears someone coming and he goes to Mala's room, where she is waiting for him with a lusty look in her eyes.
- Moss reminisces about the people he'd killed since coming to Tar Valon, what happened at the ball the night before, and how he and Mala had spent the evening in bed after. He plans to give her a present at dinner. A boy shows up and Moss gives him a letter to take to Janos asking him to meet at The Wench's Arms.
- Mala shows up at The Wench's Arms to see Moss.
Moss tells Mala there is a change of plans and decides not to visit
-Mala goes inside a private inn with Moss that he had prepared for their date. After buttering her up and giving her a pair of lovebirds, they get down to the business of why he left her the other night after Moss requests Mala to ward the conversation.
and Mala have jealous fits over each other - Mala jealous of Tara, Moss jealous
Moss and Mala discuss things and Moss tells her he loves her. He gives her a bracelet with his name on it then tells her to bond
him...he has to leave for Tear tonight. Mala bonds him using the new warder
bond, they get it on, then she hurries to get to her date with
Moss takes a barge out of Tar Valon and considers all that has happened. The
night before he killed Rutterbur for a slight, but
before that he stripped the man's skin until he spilled where he was the night
before...cooking for the commander of the Whitecloaks and his doxy. He thinks
- William tells his men to pack the camp up and be ready to leave in three hours.
- Garan enters and is welcomed.
Garan bashes the Black Tower some more.
Garan offers to sell his 'white steel' armor to
Once Garan leaves, Mala gives
Mala is affected by
Mala opens the gateway for William the Pig and his men after opening another
Mala, in bed with
- Background on Fa'liel, an Ogier. He is on his way to deliver a package to the towers.
- Snog, a Trolloc, stands outside a cave in the mountains and hears something howling nearby. He goes inside the cave.
- Snog waits to be challenged by the other Trollocs.
- Adris sends Tenu to get the one bound to him, which turns out to be a Myrddraal. After it leaves to meet him, she goes to finish his instructions.
Adris wakes up and uses the Mask of Mirrors to disguise himself before going to
- Varick is out for a ride to clear his mind, thinking about checking on Richaad. He doesn't like lying to the M'Hael but he felt he had no choice. He hears a sound in the dark woods and grasps saidin.
Fa'liel is in the woods on his way to the
- Blen Mandragoran is summoned by his brother (King al'Aric Mandragoran), who asks him to go to New Manetheren to guard Nyx. At first Blen doesn't understand because Nyx can take care of herself, but after hearing the explanation, he washes up and goes to New Manetheren.